Arya Ruby - TeaGardenia
Tea : Arya Ruby
Website description: Ruby, as the name indicates, has a redder color than usual Darjeeling black tea. Possessing an extremely high degree of flavor and a bold leaf with some tips, Arya ruby is truly a tea for the elite. The dry leaves have fresh mountains aroma while wet leaves have steamed mountain flowers with muscatel aroma. It has mouthful earthiness taste with muscatel finish. Each sip gives a long finish.
Water: 240 ml/ approximately 8 oz
Temperature: 185 F
Steep Time: 3 minutes for 3 gm tea
My Review System: https://artofthepair.com/tea-overview/
My Overall Impression (Score of 86.75%)
This is a very refined tea that really makes you think about its structure. It’s a medium body experience but it coats your palate and lingers for a long time. The best word to describe this is mellow. In a previous article, I discussed teas to relax to (Relaxing Tea). This is one of my selections that I would choose. Words will not let me explain in detail what is in the glass; you just have to try it.
This tea is a bit pricier than several I have reviewed but I know you will love it. As of 2/1/23, the price for 100 gm on their website is $32. Broken down:
- 100 gm / 3 gm for steeping = 33 cups
- 33 cups from package = app 96 cents per cup
I double steep (use the tea twice) so I can get 66 cups or approximately 48 cents per cup. Now, I know you are thinking that this is a bit steep. However, there are two factors in play:
- It’s still cheaper than going out to purchase a cup of tea that in most cases will be lower quality (last year, I paid $3.50 for a cup of tea that I could have purchased the same bag for pennies), and
- Join their mailing list as they have multiple sales throughout the year. To save money, this is when I purchase most of my tea. I know I paid less during one of their sales.
Quick note: When you go to their site, they are based out of India. Make sure you change the site prices to your appropriate currency so you can review their prices and compare. I love their selection and they ship quickly. First time I purchased from them, I had it 4 days later (and it had the Customs sticker on it).
- Opening the package shows heavy malt tones with a hint of tobacco and toasted coconut.
- Has some dried herbal qualities with delicate flowers.
- Once steeped, the dried herb and grass tones continue with a hint of almonds at the end.
- Exceptionally smooth buttery mouthfeel that coats your entire palate.
- It shows light malt and biscuit/cracker tones.
- Definitely can taste some toast with a hint of floral on the back end.
- No fruit evident.
- Aromas (4.1/5)
- Flavors (8.5/10)
- Overall impression (4.75/5)
- Total score = 86.75 percent (17.35/20)
Foods to Pair
- Smoked Chicken dip for appetizer.
- Mushroom quiche.
- Sauteed trout in brown butter with roasted cauliflower.
- Scones with fresh butter.
- Rich pound cake (no glaze).