Earl Grey Real Peels Teaswan
Tea : Earl Grey Real Peels
Producer: Teaswan, India
Website: Teaswan Real Peels
Website description: Earl Grey Tea is a traditional hand made a blend of Premium Assam Orthodox Whole Leaf and Bergamot peel. Most Earl Grey’s are made with low-quality base teas, but not ours. This tea brews a deep and rich red with fruity and malty overtones. The aroma reminds one of a typical Assam summer evening -heavy but refreshing in the same breath! There are many theories about Earl Grey, but one thing is clear – everybody loves it!
- Water: 240 ml/ approximately 8 oz
- Temperature: 195 F
- Steep Time: 3 minutes for 3 gm tea
My Review System: https://artofthepair.com/tea-overview/
My Overall Impression (Score of 87.5%)
I love when I open the package that I see small chunks of peel waiting for me and my cup. This is a great tea with lovely toffee and light cedar essence mixed with the large citrus. There are lots of little nuances to be discovered. Definitely one of my favorite teas when I need a kick start.
Sidenote: When I first discovered Teaswan, I reviewed their site for different blends. This one came up and I looked at the price. It’s a great value as compared to other Earl Grey blends that I had seen. I purchased it (since the price was low) as an experiment. One of the best choices I have made on a whim. This is one you should consider ordering (just for the value alone) but it has great flavor to back it up.
- Opening the package shows intense bergamot aromas before steeping.
- After steeping, great aroma of bergamot with a touch of pink grapefruit.
- This tapers off to show a hint of dried leather and baking spice (clove and nutmeg).
- Very smooth from start to finish.
- Great punch of bergamot and citrus that fades off nicely over tasting.
- Hints of grapefruit rind, toast, vanilla, and cardamom.
- Malt tones carry over sample.
- Creamy mouthfeel on palate.
- Spicy buzz at the tip of tongue (lemon/lime pith).
- Aromas (4.5/5)
- Flavors (8.5/10)
- Overall impression (4.5/5)
- Total score = 87.5 percent (17.5/20)
Foods to Pair
- Citrus based desserts and fruit cups.
- Scones with spice (either cardamom or fresh ground black pepper).
- Mediterranean salad with citrus and feta.
- Braised Moroccan chicken cooked in a tagine.
- Quickly seared marinated tuna steaks over pasta salad.
- Cold smoked tea pork chop cooked sous vide with a steeped citrus tea cream sauce.