Gunpowder Special Grade - Teasource
Tea : Gunpowder Special Grade
Website description: The name says it all. A coarse , viscous body with a dark, grain/wheat-like cup. Intense.
Water: 240 ml/ approximately 8 oz
Temperature: 175 F
Steep Time: 3 minutes for 3 gm
My Review System: https://artofthepair.com/tea-overview/
My Overall Impression (Score of 85%)
I’m now really starting to understand the lore of green tea. This is one of my first ones purchased and I love its value and amazing properties. It’s a very well-balanced cup allowing for easy drinking. Even though it’s grassy, I was searching for little nuances. There is a touch of sediment from the leaf structure but minor.
For the value, its worth purchasing. As of 1/23/23, the price for 2 oz on their website is $6. Broken down:
- 2 oz (w)= app 56 gm
- 56 gm / 3 gm for steeping = 18 cups
- 18 cups from package = app 33 cents per cup
I double steep (use the tea twice) so I can get 36 cups from 2 oz or app cost of 17 cents per cup. This is a great value for a highly ranked tea.
- Opening the package shows dried grass and green leaves (similar to green bean leaves)
- Once steeped, the green tones carry throughout the profile.
- Hint of smoke and musty wet leaf but far from unpleasant
- Very smooth mouthfeel is a touch thicker than normal.
- Very light delicate flavors.
- Has citrus peel astringency without the taste.
- Hints of dried parsley, light malt, and dried apple/pear.
- Wheat tones are throughout the profile and are exceptionally pleasant.
- Aromas (4.25/5)
- Flavors (8.25/10)
- Overall impression (4.5/5)
- Total score = 85 percent (17/20)
Foods to Pair
- Fresh milled wheat bread.
- Fresh bruised kale salad.
- Tabouleh salad with a tea infused vinaigrette.
- Baked whitefish with herbs.
- Stir fry green vegetables.
- Fried green tomatoes with herb de Provence cream dipping sauce.